expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Baked Blueberry French Toast

Ingredients:
  • 8 to 9 thick (1 to 1 1/2 inches) slices of Italian bread (we used regular sandwich bread and it worked just fine)
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh or dried blueberries
  • 3 cups milk (1% or 2% milk is fine)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • powdered sugar to garnish

Preparation:

Arrange bread slices in a lightly greased or sprayed 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle dried blueberries over the slices.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla, and milk; whisk to blend well. Pour the egg mixture evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Heat oven to 325°.

*The French toast halfway done baking before the first turn over.

Uncover the baking dish. Sprinkle each slice of bread with a few teaspoons of brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Drizzle with the melted butter. Bake, uncovered, for 50 to 55 minutes, or until browned and set. Use a sharp knife to cut around each slice of bread then lift out with a spatula. Serve with powdered sugar and orange wedges or fresh berries, or serve with warm spiced mixed fruit.
Serves 6 to 8.

*The finished product which looks a bit mangled because I had to turn over all the pieces. See note below!

***I made a few changes to the recipe. I used 12 slices of bread in my 9x12 baking dish, in rows of two. I placed the bread, blueberries and then a bit of mixture to the bottom layer as well as the top. I did have to flip the bread slices half way through in order to have them bake properly which is a bit messy so beware. I may just do it in two separate dishes next time so I do not have to worry about flipping the bread.....more clean up, but I think well worth it!***

I found this recipe here!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love that it's a "make the day before" type . . .nice for brunch get togethers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope you enjoy it! It's very easy and awesome for holiday mornings when you don't want to have to cook breakfast also. :)

    ReplyDelete